a lot of catching up

Somehow I've found myself sitting still long enough to update the blog.
It's been awhile so there's lots to cover.
But before I start rolling, take a moment to enjoy these
beautiful sunflowers in my neighbor's yard.


You like that?
Late August seems to be the time for blooming sunflowers, so at this point they are just about done being spectacular.  If you've paid much attention to the news lately, Colorado has experienced some very severe flooding.  This has occurred all throughout the state.  In Colorado Springs, we primarily worry about the burn scars from 2 very large fires we've had over the past 2 summers.  The Black Forrest fire occurred June 2013 and all this rain has led to quite a bit of flooding in those neighborhoods. The Waldo Canyon fire occurred in June 2012 and it's been a mess with each torrential downpour.  Hwy 24 essentially turns into a river with mudslides and the small community of Manitou Springs has been the collection point of many square miles of mountain run-off.  This summer has been dangerous for those living near the fires or areas that flood easily.  While there's always risk for a natural disaster, I live in a good area in terms of fire and flood safety...and I am very grateful!

But it's not all bad news here in Colorado.

- July -
My birthday was July 21 and my friends from Boulder (Ruth, John, and their son Tobias) came to visit and hike with me at the Crags.

Along the trail...


Meadow panorama along the trail...


Scouting out the views on a high rock.


Panorama view from the top / turn-around point



10 years of friendship with this wonderful lady, thank you for coming to visit Ruth!


Nearing the end of July I was told that for the 4th year I would be running the Marine Corps Marathon on the All-Army team.  I also ran a tryout and qualified to run on the Fort Carson team at this year's Army 10-miler.  Both races are held in Washington D.C. in late October.


- August - 

Day 1 of the "41-challenge."
(challenge of 2 back-to-back day hikes to summit Pikes Peak for Joe's 41st birthday)
Joe, myself, and Andy hike Barr Trail (26 miles) to the summit of Pikes Peak.


Day 2 of the "41-challenge."
Mike Konetsky reaches the "saddle" along the "Devil's Playground" trail (14 miles)
on his way to the summit of Pikes Peak.



Celebrating the end of the "41-challenge" at Erin's home.
Her daughter wanted to blow out the candles on Joe's cake so bad!


- Also in August - 
My first physical therapy student - Lauren Jarman - completes her final clinical rotation with flying colors.  She was so good she was given a coin by one of our patients :)


- Labor Day Weekend Festivities included -

Completing the Black Squirrel Half Marathon


Impromptu participation in the Tour De Fat with Paige and Jordan Wilson in Fort Collins, CO.


Hiking Gray Rock with Paige and Jordan - awesome!


Jordan and Paige below...



The Colorado Springs Balloon Classic


That's one thing about Colorado.
No sense paying for basic cable when you can be outside.
I took this photo as I left work late one afternoon.



Also in the month of August, I started a "running skills" class at my local Crossfit Box- Crossfit SoCo.  It's been a blast so far, several people have come up to me to say that this is the first time they've run without pain in a very long time.  This is a photo of us working on drills.



- September -

I enjoyed Breckenridge's Oktoberfest yesterday for the 3rd straight year.  I managed to stay about 1.5 hours before the storms rolled in, I was in my vehicle by the time the hail started.  Had to get the honorary beer-stein and bratwurst.


Just this week I received an email from the Army running coach, LTC Liam Collins, about running CISM instead of the Marine Corps Marathon.  Most people have never heard of CISM, but it's essentially an international stage for several different sports - marathoning included.  While I am nowhere near the fastest female marathoner in the US Army, I am decent - and even more importantly - I am available and non-injured.  That said, this year I am giving up my Marine Corps spot in order to run the CISM competition.

What exactly does that mean?  In November I will be one of two women from the US Army traveling to Suriname (South America) to run the CISM marathon, competing against women from all over the world.  For a girl who hasn't come close to qualifying for the US Olympic Trials, this is pretty insane.

A few months ago I wasn't sure if I would be able to run a fall marathon.  Today I am looking at running in a world championship.  All that I can say is never give up on your dreams.  You love what you love for a reason, don't let anyone or any circumstance rob your passion.

Comments

Popular Posts