And This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

I'm still here Colorado, still here.



Less than 30 days ago I volunteered for a 9-10 month mobilization to WA and it was confirmed by my corps chief that I would be the one sent to fill the position.  It was then that I started pondering life in a camper trailer or van, looking up places to explore in WA state, and dreaming of what plot of land I was going to buy here in Colorado upon returning.

Just after Christmas my chief messaged me saying there was a major "hiccup" with my orders and he would get back to me after the New Year with final word on whether or not I was going.  When he said the "hiccup" was at AR-MEDCOM, my gut said, "you're not going, they have someone else."  El guto was spot on.  For anyone wondering, this was a case of not communicating and therefore two separate entities were attempting to fill one position.  The higher echelon, AR-MEDCOM, has the final say in what happens in all Army medicine matters and thus they chose their candidate (involuntarily by the way).  In any case, I was fine with either outcome.  What I'm not in love with is the poor communication.

I'm also not in love with congress (but who is)?  I suppose those with money and power really love congress and the rest of us are mostly left in the dark about what is really happening.  Currently our government is functioning off a weak-ass continuing budget resolution, so even if it seems the government is not held hostage in the news, people like me are waiting for a real budge to be passed for other reasons.  In my case, the reserves will help cover expenses for their medical professionals to get enough continuing education to maintain their licenses.  It's something a person has to apply and qualify for yearly, but like many other companies that hire doctors (or other professionals), the Army offers some assistance with the cost of maintaining a license.  However at the moment there are NO funds available for continuing education until congress passes a budget.



Now to what I think I can actually control in my life...  I at least get to somewhat plan my 2018 now that I know where I will be living.  My reserve annual training could throw a stick in my spokes but it's usually only a few weeks away from my routine.  Right now I have Leadwoman as my primary training goal, but to prepare, I might end up doing a few more races or attempting some epic running route.  I look forward to solidifying this schedule more over the coming months.  I'm also excited about being crew this year as some of my friends will be doing epic races of their own.

Business is good.  Life is good.  Pueblo work has slowed down since the clinic hired a full-time therapist so I've had my hours cut back.  That said, it's really the small space, not the lack of demand for therapy, that has limited how many people can work there each day.  I'm told the clinic is "set to explode" even more as far as demand for therapy and there are plans to expand the space so...we'll see.  It's a great contract job despite the drive out of town.  I get a fair amount of time with each patient appointment and I work with great people so it's been well worth the drive.  My goal would be to work there 3 days a week as this would allow me enough income to reach my financial goals and still have time to grow my own business and be a decent reservist (and of course, play outside a tremendous amount).

Speaking of work, time to head to a business meeting!  I hope everyone is well!

Comments

Popular Posts