Oh Hail No!

Yesterday we had quite the hail storm in Colorado Springs...specifically around the Broadmoor area and in the Security-Widefield area.  I was downtown at my apartment just doing a little work on my mountain bike and visiting with my mom on the phone.  I heard thunder and saw lightning, seemed to come quickly during a bout of lighter rain.  I kept working for a moment on the large porch area until the lightning flashed and the sound were only a second apart.  It was time to move indoors!

As I finished my phone conversation with my mother I watched small hail begin to fall and I checked the radar.  Sure enough a large purple section began moving into town, albeit the worst of it appeared to be just south of downtown.  My Jeep has been in so many hail storms that I've stopped sweating the small stuff falling from the sky.  Plus I have nowhere to park it and protect it, unless I were to drive to a parking garage down the street and pay for parking...not the worst idea.  Fortunately the hail never got larger than a golf ball (which is still large).  Once the storm started to back off I took a trip to the bike shop for new pedals and to the Crossfit SoCo.  During those trips we had one storm after another roll through town but they all appeared to be heavy rain without hail.

It's been a "hail of a summer" in Colorado with several major hail storms destroying vehicles/campers, causing major damage to homes, and even injuring people.  Yesterday two animals died at the zoo from the storm.  It's been seriously violent.  This is the sort of thing I think about when exposed on the trails running or mountain biking.  It's the extreme storms with lots of lightning, large hail, high winds, flash flooding...you have to be careful.  Hopefully yesterday will be the last of the serious hail for the summer...it's by far the worst summer of hail since I've moved here and maybe the worst for the long-time residents as well.

Now I'm headed to work at Dynamic and taking the next 4 days really easy.  I figure if I err on the side of being a little extra lazy or eating a little extra, that's an okay place to be considering the 100-mile bike this weekend.  And the 10k run on Sunday.  And the 100-mile run August 18...

Comments

Popular Posts