Destiny

This week I've been wondering a lot about destiny.  Yeah, I know it's kind of an abstract thing to be pondering when there's plenty of real work to be done.  But in the midst of everything I've done since the marathon, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.  The marathon seems to have revived something in me...maybe that old spark of interest, of hope, of excitement for the future, and of the reality that I am the majority shareholder in my life.

I think most of us can agree that destiny is a weird combination, varying in each case, of natural ability, predictable experiences, and random dealings.  So how is it one moment that a person can be so miserable and the next feel that they are in a good place, at least a place for growth and wisdom, a place to open up one's heart to love others and learn something...

The answer that comes to mind is perspective, something we all intuitively know but many fail to execute to their benefit.  As I am working my way through a book entitled "Moonwalking with Einstein - The Art and Science of Remembering Everything" I am becoming more thankful for my memories than I've ever been.  It's my memories that have given me the ability to have perspective, to learn, to grow, to evolve as a human being.  And it's a wonderful thing to take a moment to think about one happy memory.  What an amazing treasure trove we find when we remember.

Find me the person who's life is perfect and I will show you someone that has an extremely short-term memory, likely of seconds at a time only.  It's just their perception of life, because they can't remember anything long enough to be sad or upset or angry.  There really are a few souls out there living with such a disability.  But don't envy those few with no conceivable troubles or worries.  Envy those who know full well the pain of life and have overcome.  Or rather I should say, learn something from them.

No magic.  Destiny looks more like overcoming the challenges you meet more than anything else.

I'm not fearless.  I'm not even close.  Just aware of my mortality.  I hate to say it but death and taxes are the only thing you can sit back on your couch, zoning out to the television, and count on...everything else you'd better start doing for yourself.


Comments

Popular Posts