Why our Belief-System Matters More Than Politics - Practical Applications

I've had a bit of time to process the results of the 2016 Presidential Election and I wanted to write four thoughts that are authentic from my heart.

#1- I have never believed in telling someone else what to think.  Or do.  I have always felt this to be a very a bad idea.  I only have outward concern about your beliefs if those beliefs may harm others.  That said, I do think it's a bad idea to believe things that limit you or that limit others around you.  I do think it's a good idea to question your beliefs periodically, at your own will, to ensure they are actually serving you and the greater good.  Questions I ask myself: Do I have an open mind?  Are any of my beliefs limiting my ability to connect with others, stifling my thought-processes and critical-thinking, or hijacking my emotions?  Are my belief's really my own?  Am I so much a part of a group that I have lost my individual-innate sense of direction and purpose?  I have found this exercise to be invaluable.  Much like our homes often clutter with useless junk, so do our minds over time, and perhaps more so in modern life.  There is nothing quite like a good spring cleaning.

#2- If you got carried away, I am NOT judging you.  Feeling strong emotion is part of being human.  Think of how often we jokingly mock those who show minimal emotion as "robots."  It is normal and acceptable to feel strong emotion.  However, what I have learned is that in all decision-making, I must quiet my mind and calm myself.  It is important to ensure my brain is not flooded with stress hormone and other evidence of the stress response.  I am still myself with all of my beliefs, however I want to have the calm brain when I am ready to speak or act.  When I am not angry, in fear, or flooded with stress, I can represent myself and my beliefs/opinions with accuracy and authenticity.  When I am in anger, stress, or fear my brain is temoprarily hijacked.

#3- I truly believe that most people want to unite...not just regarding the election.  At the moment I think that people who have drawn a line in the sand are mostly afraid and/or feel they are misunderstood and want a voice.  A line in the sand means they feel their personal boundaries are being threatened and they want the outside to stop the onward progression for a moment.  I am not labeling that way of thinking good or bad, effective or ineffective.  I have only made the observation that the more we refuse to listen or the more we judge each other, the more we invite and encourage defensive, reactive behaviors.  I suppose there are some things that are "just wrong."  I will not argue those points because what is acceptable and unacceptable to people varies greatly.  I will only say that I enjoy listening to opposing views when I am in the right mindset (i.e. I see humanity as my family).  Truthfully it takes great energy to do this in the beginning, but like exercise, it gets easier over time.  Also like exercise, I build a level of resilience to discomfort.  This is emotional discomfort caused by truly hearing things you don't want to hear, perhaps what feels like a major contradiction.  Over time you learn that a difference of opinion does not always have to hurt so bad, although there may still be occasions when it still stings you.  Perhaps with time and practice you will need less lines in the sand.  The deeper you go the more you find your own inner strength to love above all other emotion.  At least, this has been my observation.  I do this because I am more concerned that my own beliefs will limit me greater than another person's beliefs or agenda.  Furthermore, I have no interest in controlling other people, so my own beliefs are the only thing I need to question in regular practice.  That said, you will find me an advocate still for certain things...truth and health especially, but I am afraid that should I not act my true values, I will discredit my purpose.  The aforementioned exercise helps me stay true to my values and advocate in a way that might actually work for the betterment of myself and the world.

#4 - I believe that a lack of unity can be used to manipulate people because of point #2 regarding what our brains do to our decision-making when we are angry, stressed, or in fear.  Outside interests who actually do have an agenda will exploit point #2 and disregard our ability to enact point #1.  Because I know I am vulnerable, I generally avoid the news (today synonymous with sensationalism).  I imagine good intentions first, always.  I try to ask questions before making judgements and I try to avoid making any judgement unless I absolutely have no choice.  I think that last point is very helpful, because in reality and all practical applications, making a judgement about something that does not need your judgement is a waste of time, energy, and may one day be more junk you have to clear out of your head (i.e. a belief / choice you made once that no longer serves you).

Comments

Popular Posts