Reserves to Active?

Hello good people.  I am happy to report that I now have a blinking modem in my apartment and am connected to the world-wide-web once again.  My experiment of going without cable or internet at home was mostly a good one, but as time went on I did feel my ability to work and communicate effectively was diminishing, especially with regards to the Army reserves.  I was promoted to squad leader at my October BTA and need to receive email, process it, save documents, sign documents, and send relatively quickly.  Nothing about it is difficult but it would mean I need to go to my office every day just to communicate some basic things and that wasn't likely to happen.

Shortly after the October BTA I received a notification regarding a possible mobilization.  My name popped up on a list to potentially take a 400 day mobilization (with 365 days active duty) in CONUS (continental United States) as a backfill physical therapist.  At the moment I know the mobilization would begin in March 2017 but I do not know the location or mission I would be given.  I am still under a 2-yr stabilization contract in the reserves, meaning from Oct 2015-2017 I do not have to mobilize or deploy.  Knowing that later next year that contract will be over, I am considering taking this mobilization if the location and mission are reasonable to me.  In all honesty, I do not want to be a clinic chief, which was a small reason why I left active duty (i.e. I was not interested in climbing that specific ladder, sitting in lots of meetings, and getting dragged around to reach certain numbers).    I'm not sure if that makes me "non-leader" material.  Perhaps.  At least I am not a leader when it comes to billing insurance, that's why I started a cash-based therapy practice in the first place.

My unit does not have any additional information so I'm sitting on the prospect for a short time.  The mobilization SRP date is in mid-January 2017 so I don't feel like I have much time to make a decision.  It makes me glad I am still a renter.  I have moved every 6-36 months since the summer of 2007.  Eventually I would like for it to be financially advantageous for me to own a small home but I am in no rush.  I suspect that might happen when I am much older and for now it is nice to not have the worry or burdens that sometimes come with owning your own home and leaving the area for long periods to work.

Not much else has been going on lately.  Some things are winding down around the holidays, it just seems to naturally be a good time to step back and move a little slower.  I will be visiting Texas in mid-December for a few days.  I am not sure what kind of winter we will have this year in Colorado but I am sure the Texas weather will still be a break from colder temperatures here.  I remember a few years ago, around the first of December, we had some narly cold weather around zero degrees.  Threw me completely off-guard.  I forget however that December and January can be very cold since the days are so short.  As spring comes we tend to get more snow and lots of cold weather but less zero degrees everything freezes immediately and more just cold and nasty wet/windy weather.

I'll let you know when I make a decision about activating...embrace the unknown!

Comments

Popular Posts