Bluemle departs

Bluemle left the FOB today and headed for KAF.  I've only known her for about a week but I really enjoyed having her around.  It was so great to talk to another physical therapist and I know that is something I will miss in the coming months...perhaps the next 2-3 years of my career.  I had planned to help her take her bags out to the LZ for the chopper to pick her up, but just as the time neared for her to leave a patient walked in.  I haven't seen many patients over the past 6 months.  To be more specific, between the start of July and me landing on the ground here at the FOB last week, I've had 3 weeks of patient care.  During my evaluation with the first patient, I got a phone call from the aid station about a shoulder patient who would be walking over to see me.  I finished just in time to start the shoulder evaluation, when another patient came in for her Achille's...and another patient for his neck.  Now I was finally working!

I just found it ironic because in my first week here at the FOB, I haven't seen many patients...maybe 4 new evals total.  Then as soon as Bluemle leaves the clinic, I get a steady flow.

Now a little about the FOB gym where I work out.  The FOB gym is split in between 2 buildings...one is more a cardio room with treadmills, recumbent/upright bikes, stairclimbers, ellipticals, a few medicine balls, dumbbells, and a small mat area...while the other houses your more standard weight room equipment.  I've heard that all the concrete buildings here were built when the Russians were occupying Afghanistan.  I wouldn't be totally surprised because they look pretty old and there's really nothing to them, but I can't 100% confirm their origins.  But to give you an idea, pretty much all the buildings here are the same sized rectangle with 2 doors on opposite ends and 6 or so narrow windows all along the sides.  There's absolutely nothing exciting about them - and I'm guessing it was us, the Americans, that put in the electricity and plumbing into some of them.  Way to go America!

Having done crossfit for a few months now, it is different working out in a "gym" that doesn't have free floor space for power-lifts.  I did find one area in front of a bench press that I can do things like cleans/snatches, but it's tricky and I have to use seriously ninja skills in order to be safe.  There's only 1 rickety pull up bar to be found and pretty much no free wall space.  But despite the imperfections, if you want to get a workout - everything you need is there.  In crossfit, people often call their gyms a "box."  In Afghanistan, the gyms are often actual boxes.

I guess now that Bluemle is heading home to complete her final paperwork, I am officially the 2nd brigade, 4th infantry division physical therapist.  Lots to think about and start planning - - - - - but not tonight!

P.S.  It's well past 9pm and I can hear a powered-saw outside.  Really?  Is it SO important that it can't wait until morning?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts