2012

Happy New Year everyone and thanks for continuing to read my blog.  I plan to do a few updates every week as time allows...and hopefully it's something you find halfway interesting.

One thing about Afghanistan (at least this area) is that it's pretty much dirt and dust - unless you add water - then it's mud.  But there's no green here, no grass or shrubs, and a tree is rare.  And I can tell you that those few trees must have golden roots because they don't look green either - rather they are just covered in more dirt.  It's funny how your standards change when you have no other choice.  I've always been a pretty clean person...never liked to walk in my kitchen and have dirt stick to my bare feet.  But here in Afghanistan, a brand new white pair of socks will only stay that way if you put them in a clean zip-lock baggy.  Then you'd better wash the dirt off the baggy so you can see the white socks inside.

A new year reminds me that my attitude can make things a gift or a curse.  Because a resolution is really just a mental "note to self" that we don't have to live in the past.  Time does move.  We grow older.  Things change.  We don't have to do what we've always done.  Our present situation won't always be our present situation.  And I can choose to be okay with having dirt everywhere this year.

There was a soldier that came in the clinic the other day and after visiting for awhile she began talking about how there's some turmoil between the different companies of our battalion.  Most of it sounded like petty drama - nothing more than people being stupid and other people taking it the wrong way.  I just smiled and stole a line from a movie called "Semi-Pro" with Will Ferrell.  I said, "You know what my philosophy is?"  Of course she didn't, so I paused and said, "ELE - everybody love everybody."  I expected a chuckle at most...but she actually laughed out loud and said she really like that.  Then she said, "you just inspired me, I'm writing that on my office door."  ELE - EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY.

Do you remember days in your childhood when you felt like the changing of the year was truly a time for change?  A new year meant unlimited possibilities, some how that day was more magical than the rest.  Did you ever fell less bound by the choices you'd already made?  Did you ever feel like on January 1st you could start anew and the whole world would be more accepting, because after all, everyone is starting resolutions on the same day.  That's a pretty big thing!


But we get used to seeing the same things, we find a routine, we learn what to expect - and we get comfortable.  I haven't been comfortable in a while...not since July of this summer.  I've been growing up since the day I was born and I've learned it doesn't get easier with age.  You don't reach some magical time of your life when everything makes sense - when you don't have hard choices to make - when you can just sit back and let things be.  And that magical day that you decide to make a change and not live in your mistakes - that day can be today.

I wish you all a new year unlike any other.  I am living mine.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts