the kettle is at it again!

I told CPT G today that I am NOT making any more tea.  A few days ago we seemed to have finally determined how to safely use all of our appliances without an electrical meltdown.  In fact, since we've had the new setup, CPT G has successfully used the water kettle to make oatmeal.  No problems...

Until I touch it.

I just hit the switch to boil some water for tea - no meltdown, no lights flickered, nothing.  Then Merk comes in the door (a lot like how people walk into a scene on a sitcom) and needs help boarding up a couple windows with plywood.  So outside we go...we're working on the first piece of plywood (drilling into concrete, putting in screws) and CPT G and Lachman are helping.  CPT G walks back into the clinic for something, I hardly noticed he was gone, until he comes around the corner and says, "something is burning in the clinic!"  We immediately drop what we're doing and run inside where there's smoke filling the clinic.  I hear Merkler say, "where is it?" (meaning the fire) and that's when it hits me - it's the WATER KETTLE, my archenemy!  I drop to the floor to get under one of our work tables and unplug the power strip to the kettle.  Meanwhile CPT G shuts off the power in the clinic and opens another door to let out smoke.

Cough, cough....

It was another meltdown of a power strip.  The fact is...there aren't codes in these buildings and you can't just plug anything into anything like you can in the U.S.  I think Merkler might have figured out what went wrong.  But if we kill any more power strips, we're going to need to dig a mass grave for them.  We tried to air out the clinic and spray some air freshener, but it still smells like a weird combo of burned rubber and beef jerky.

From now on, if I want tea, CPT G has to boil the water.

Comments

Popular Posts