My soap box :)

Well as far as Afghanistan goes, it was a pretty regular day here.

On Tuesday, I decided to treat myself with needles to lessen some minor aches and pains in my legs.  So at lunch I pulled out a few 0.30 X 60mm needles and treated my hamstrings, quads, and adductors.  I couldn't treat my own gluteus for obvious reasons, otherwise I'd have gotten those too!  I'd only been treated once before when I took the dry needling course in OCT.  My previous experience was pretty rough - namely I could barely walk after the treatment and the next morning I awoke early to run 13 painful miles in preparation for the Marine Corps Marathon.  So at least after this treatment, I vowed to use the elliptical that evening to work out the soreness.  It worked okay, but I was still hobbling around the rest of the day and people were asking me if I was hurt.

Therapists can't hurt themselves - that's just bad PR.

But yesterday I was able to put in 10 miles and another 7 today...so the PR here is good!

I think I've started convincing some people how bad sitting is for your health.  I've been propping the computer I use for notes up on a pack of water bottles so I can stand and type - instead of sit and have a sore back and tight hamstrings.  It just feels so much better!  CPT G gave it a try and said it helped his shoulder out some.  I've been preaching to all my patients to get out of their sitting posture as much as possible during the day (especially the ones that are at computers or riding on convoys a lot).  I guess every therapist out there has their soap box - and mine is "sitting is a killer."  And it's not just my opinion, there's a lot of research to back it up.  So raise your desk height and improve your health - it's THAT easy.

I promise, I'm standing as I type this :)

Some articles on the topic of sitting and your health:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/13/sitting_n_1202800.html
http://www.npr.org/2011/04/25/135575490/sitting-all-day-worse-for-you-than-you-might-think
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110712093859.htm
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17sitting-t.html

Want more?  Google "sitting bad for your health."

Comments

  1. You're so right, Sam. That's how I hurt my back. There's some more evidence for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts