getting to travel

I'll be leaving tomorrow morning to a small outpost to treat some patients (probably somewhere between 3 and 10 people if I had to guess), and then I'll possibly be back by the end of the day...or they tell me Saturday at the latest.  Also, LT Bullis will be leaving this weekend for Camp Nathan Smith where she'll stay indefinitely.  If you remember, Bullis and I deployed together from Ft Carson and we've traveled together and stayed at the same locations ever since.  Hopefully she'll enjoy CNS and be able to lead a platoon.  Our company has had her execute various tasks since she's been at our FOB...and she's done a great job...but she really needs a leadership position.  We're definitely going to miss her here :(

Today I started putting together some information for the medic classes at the aid station and emailing/calling a few contacts regarding the IP/HPO data collection later in the summer.  While I know that it will be a big undertaking (as will getting my clinic set up), I am grateful that I am working with people who have helped to accomplish these tasks in 3/4 and 4/4.  So I get the benefit of their "lessons learned."  Maybe I'm just hopelessly optimistic.

It was a good day, but I pretty wiped out tonight.  I'm sore from the squats, lunges, core exercise, and the 8.5 miles I ran yesterday.  I managed to jog 4.5 over my lunch break today and felt good once I got warmed up - but later in the afternoon I stiffened back up.  Is that what happens to old people?   So I've decided that between my soreness, my travel, and the forecast (70% chance of rain showers), I think tomorrow will be a rest day!

This weekend is the Olympic Marathon Trials in Houston, TX...I'm not sure if anyone reading this will be in the area, but if you're around Houston you should google it and go.  I watched the 2008 Olympic Trials in Boston and got to see Deena Kastor and Joan Benoit Samuelson run...and I will never forget it.  I'm hoping to catch some online news feed if I'm back at my FOB by then.  I'm kind of rooting for the Brooks Hanson girls on this go-round.  I know that football playoffs are more on America's minds than the Olympic Trials...but seriously, there's nothing like watching Americans run 26.2 miles faster than most of us can run a single mile - GO if you can!

Comments

Popular Posts