RAIN!

Today was an "especially" special day in Kandahar province, Afghanistan - because it rained a few drops.  As I've been told, we are approaching the "rainy season" here in Afghanistan, but I have no idea what that means in Afghan-terms.  Some say it means weeks of nothing but rain, mud, pooling water, and "flash flooding"...and others say it means a few drops and not so much as a puddle.  Only time will tell for this season so stay tuned for the report!

I saw one photo a friend had posted on Facebook that was taken in Afghanistan and there was actually GREEN in the background.  I had forgotten about it for awhile but remembered it today in a conversation with the behavioral health guy (CPT "G").  Come to find out, CPT G knew exactly which area I was talking about when describing the picture...he'd been there and it's really one of the only places around here with vegetation.  I wasn't surprised to hear however that the land is still pretty bad off and the river that feeds the few living plants is very dirty and polluted.  Oh yeah, and the children swim in it.

Reminds me to be very thankful that we have environmental laws in America.  I know there's been recent bashing of the Environmental Protection Agency in the states...and I honestly don't know much about the subject...but I do know that I appreciate clean rivers, uncontaminated soil, and a healthy array of wildlife.  The only wildlife here that I've seen (or heard about) are camels, small birds, mice, stray cats and dogs, and an assortment of insects.

Good day in the clinic overall.  I only had 2 evaluations but should be getting a lot more traffic tomorrow for treatments, follow ups, and I already heard about a guy who hurt his knee pretty bad that will be coming to see me.  I did get some inventory work done, got in a 4 mile run and some weights at lunch, and I got to watch most of the movie "Cool Running" this afternoon.

Just another day in paradise!

Comments

Popular Posts