this is black and white

I promise I've been busy...
However I'm not sure I can use that as an excuse for not posting for several months.  I will admit, I have prioritized hiking large mountains and going to bed at 9pm above blogging.  Shame.

The important things in life, climbing children's playground equipment with best friends. (November 2011).


And now I am finally in the mood to speak heavily about what's on my mind.  I realize that in this life we are not so much in charge as we think we are.  As many a greater mind than I has proclaimed, it is only your attitude and world view to which you can control.  I was talking to my mom the other day and I told her I felt there were "two kinds of people in this world" (don't you love that statement?!).  Despite the overuse of the aforementioned phrase, what I was referring to was the difference between the people who are always grateful and hopeful and the people who are always complaining about their lot.  And you can't really be both, at least not at the same time.

I hate to be so black and white when the world is painted in gray.  But I think you can boil down your reactions to life in either one of those categories.  You can see the world through the eyes of someone who is grateful because they know that they are owed not a single thing in this life.  Or you can see the world in the eyes of someone who feels entitled to life working in their favor and wants to let everyone else know when it's not going according to plan.  I'm not sure exactly how we each develop our own flavor, or combination of those views, but it doesn't really take much getting to know someone to figure out what they believe.  I think it's important to know what you believe about your life.

As I explore what is really driving me in life, I find adventure and a passion for helping and loving other people.  It's not boring.  It's not mundane.  It's definitely not working for a paycheck or notoriety.  I believe that my life is a gift and I am entitled to absolutely nothing.  Everything I have is nothing I own; everything I have is not mine.

I choose to be grateful.

Comments

Popular Posts