Paramaribo Bound!

The last time I left the country it was to war-torn Afghanistan.  Thankfully the trip I embark on tomorrow is designed to promote peace and comradeship between nations' militaries.  Way more awesome.  Or as the Dutch would say, "Meer geweldig."

Traditional Dutch Attire


Although Suriname is a Dutch-speaking country, I have my doubts that I will see anyone walking around in wooden shoes and funny white hats.  I'll bring back pictures.  Until then, take some guesses!

Just so you know, there will be no way to contact me (or me to contact you) from 20 Nov to 26 Nov.  No GPS or international phone, no internet/Facebook, no sending falcons with notes, or messages in a bottle across the Caribbean.  It will be like I'm camping in the remote wilderness.  Except I'll be staying in a hotel.  Okay so it's really nothing like camping in the remote wilderness.

I'm excited to see what this trip holds.  In the build up to this marathon I've encountered many stumbling blocks...specifically anemia, recovering from injury, over-training, catching the flu right before I leave, and losing my official US passport (for good, please no more suggestions on where to look).  And yet somehow I'm still going on this trip.  Thanks to my family and friends for all the support they have given me.  While my physical readiness feels terribly low at this point, I have never been so mentally and emotionally prepared to run a race.  I feel like I've been to hell and back with every obstacle I've encountered in running this year.  Somehow all this adversity makes me feel more blessed, like I just stored a bunch of grain for the winter, or planted a seed that cannot help but bear fruit.

"For everything you have missed, you have gained something else: and for everything you gain, you lose something else.  It is about your outlook towards life.  You can either regret or rejoice."



The game is on my friends.  It is so on!


The race is Saturday, November 23rd.
Good luck reading Dutch!
http://www.surinamemarathon.org/content/




Comments

Popular Posts