climb a tree and touch the sky

Lately I've come to realize how fed up my heart feels with the status quo.  If I try to accept it, if I tell myself to try to believe something I don't really believe, I just feel angry.  Something doesn't seem right here.  Am I crazy?  Am I asking too much?  Maybe I should ask why I ever tried to subscribe to someone else's dream in the first place.

Someone asked the Dalai Lama what surprises him most and this is what he said,

"Man, because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.  Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.  And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then he dies having never really lived."

What I do know is this; I am already on my deathbed.  Let it sink in.

I thought my goals in life were to have a career or a family of my own or settle with a nice retirement some day.  But that is not true.  Those were never MY goals.  I want to experience nature, not 10 hours of artificial light at work when the sun is shining outside.  I want to run, ride, drive, skip, and walk across this beautiful earth.  I want to develop deep and meaningful relationships with those I love and show them that they are loved by God much more.  I don't want to waste time with people who don't care just because it's the polite thing to do.  I want to be true to myself and never apologize for it.  I want others to be true to themselves too.  I want to live in the present and stop worrying about the future.  I want to climb a mountain, not a corporate ladder.  I want to have health, not try to buy it after the fact.  I want to give things away, not accumulate junk.

I'm going to start working on those goals and see where it gets me.  Maybe when Jesus talks about the rich this is exactly the burden to which He is referring.  Sacrifice money for life.  Trust God, trust your heart, and trust the power of love and truth.  That is something I could never regret on my deathbed.



"Vita Brevis"

Comments

Popular Posts