Isle Explorer 11ft Inflatable SUP Review

In my never-ending pursuit of outdoor pursuits, I dove in and purchased an inflatable stand up paddle board.  I'd previously rode atop hard SUPs in varying waters - calm lake, choppy bay, ocean surf, and river rapids, but this would be a full commitment to an inflatable version...without ever trying it for myself.

The Basics

Inflatables have obvious advantages over a hard board.  They're much easier to transport as they roll into a cylinder-esk package that you can carry on your back (walking or biking) to the water's edge.  It fits in your car trunk or backseat.  They're also quite durable, you don't have to worry about dinging your board against your vehicle, the ground, or rocks.  I've even seen an advertisement where a guy runs over his inflatable SUP with his vehicle.  Bottom line, they go anywhere and they really are tough.

Boards come in all shapes and sizes depending on what type of SUP'ing you plan on doing.  There are many helpful websites that detail the various types of boards as well as offer reviews of several different styles.  One of the most helpful websites I found was www.isupworld.com.  After spending a good deal of time reviewing different styles of boards and deciding on the primary use of my SUP (lakes and rivers), I chose a "touring" style SUP.  Touring SUPs are often longer (11-12+ft) and are designed to track straighter/faster in calmer waters (downside, they are not as maneuverable).  The exact SUP I chose was not the most "tour-y" of all of my options.  The Sea Eagle Needlenose would have actually tracked even straighter and faster, but I wanted a board with a slightly upturned nose with some ability to turn without too much fuss in case I took on a river with small rapids.  I also chose a 6" thick SUP for overall better stability.  A few companies offer 4" versions, but if you are at all on the fence, prefer more stability, a larger person (160# or more), or a SUP newbie, I recommend sticking with a 6".  There are varying degrees of pressure that each board can handle so read before you buy.  Generally the best on the market will inflate to 14-15 PSI and the attachable fins will be very easy to use (and not require any tools).  My board also came standard with a 3-piece paddle.  This is one thing I may upgrade in the future...it works well but it's aluminum and I would prefer a lighter paddle for long days on the water (carbon-fiber ideally).

My board

The Isle Explorer 11ft Inflatable SUP  - Specifications
ModelExplorer Inflatable SUP
Length11 ft 
Width32 inches
Thickness6 inches
Weight29 lbs
Fin Set Up9 inch Removable Center Box Fin + 2 Side Fins 
ConstructionDrop Stitch PVC Inflatable SUP
Traction PadSuper Soft EVA Diamond Groove Traction Pad
HandleComfort Carry Handle
PSI12-15 PSI
PumpHigh Pressure Pump Included
Paddle3 Piece Aluminum Adjustable Travel Paddle
D-Rings14 D-Rings / Nose Center & Tail Mounted 
BungeesTop Deck & Nose Mounted Bungee System Included 

I purchased my board through Amazon because I get free 2-day shipping.  This is a good website with a promotional video for the Isle Explorer.  I also chose this touring SUP for the unusually high number of D-rings (14) which allow me to transport more stuff securely on the board.  Another advantage of my particular SUP are the handles on both the front and back of the SUP which are useful when putting in and taking out of the water.  Sure enough I purchased the board while still in Kansas and when I returned home 2 days later it was on my doorstep.  I took it for a test voyage the very next day.  The only rule I did not obey is that the manufacturer recommends inflating the board for several hours to see if there are any small leaks before taking it out on the water.  Instead...I just wore a lifejacket and went to the warmest place I could think of, Lake Pueblo, CO.

My experience with inflating the board was that beyond 10PSI I really had to work to get air into the board.  I'm a 120# female, so larger women and most guys will have more weight and power behind them.  That said, I was able to get it to the full 15PSI recommendation with some elbow grease (using all my body weight, lifting my feet off the ground, and using momentum to push the pump).  They do make electric pumps but just be sure to buy a good quality pump if that's the direction you're going.  The pump I received with the Isle SUP appears to be a good quality pump.  It did the job.

I knew that I did not plan to get into the water on my voyage.  The water was about 42 degrees, the air temperature varied from low-50s to about 60 degrees once the sun broke through the clouds.  Prior to heading to the lake I stopped by Underwater Connection and picked up some Astral gear (a life jacket and water shoes as well as a pair of neoprene socks).  If you're going to at least get wet feet in the winter, get wet-suit material for your feet.  Lake Pueblo is a state park, so life jackets are required.  In summer months and in locations where life jackets are not required, strong swimmers probably just need a leash so if they fall their board does not float away.

My board fully inflated and with fins attached.  I could have carried everything to the water before inflating but I wanted to leave the pump and some other items in my vehicle.  Also for those of you who don't know, only the large middle fin detaches while the smaller fins do not.  This is standard with a lot of boards out there.  I recommend always using the larger fin unless you will be on very shallow waters where you could damage the fin (like very low rivers) because it's necessary for the board to track straight.


My board loaded with one small water-proof sack (which in this case carried: water, neoprene gloves, extra jacket).  I carried my phone in a waterproof sack for smartphones that includes an audio jack port so you can listen to music and take pictures safely - if you fall in the water you might ruin your earplugs but not your phone.  I couldn't find my exact waterproof phone sack online so the link is just to give you an idea of what they generally look like.  Since I don't want a super bulky phone case on my phone all the time (such as LifeProof or Otter box), this was a much cheaper and more reasonable solution.


The Isle SUPs generally had good reviews online and I was pleased to say I felt they were accurate reports.  While an inflatable board has yet to reach the same level of performance as a hard board, they come very close...90%.  Considering the advantages of an inflatable board, it's not even a contest for me.  The deck material was grippy and did it's job as my board got wet.  This photo was taken at the warmest time of the day after the clouds had broke for a while.  It's magical being out on the water in the sunshine, especially when it is calm and quiet.




The Isle Explorer was easy to dock on this sandbar.  I'd crossed the entire lake you see in the photo and was taking a short break before heading back.  This is also a good photo to get an idea of what the 6" thickness of my board looks like...




Making my way across the lake for the 2nd time.  There were a few motor boats and a sail boat that came in my vicinity.  Overall though, everyone was kind and didn't stir up too many wakes.  That said, if you find yourself amongst boat wakes, simply turn the nose of your SUP perpendicular to the waves and come to your knees on the board.  The likelihood of you getting very wet or losing balance is almost zilch with this technique, which was important to me because I wasn't wearing a wetsuit.




With it being winter in Colorado, I don't expect many SUP days on the lake.  Lake Pueblo is about an hour drive but it won't freeze over in the winter, so on a warm day you might see me out there playing.  That said, when summer comes around it is game on.  SUPs provide a nice change in exercise routine, a fun new way to access the great outdoors, and a calm zen-like experience that can be difficult to replicate in our modern and busy world.  If you've ever thought about giving SUP a try, I highly doubt you will be disappointed.  There are many, many styles of SUP boards and uses depending on your desires (touring, surfing, running river rapids, SUP yoga, or even just cruising around and getting your Vitamin-D).  Time to get out and find your go-juice.

Comments

  1. Nice Post. Really electric pumps sups for inflatables works very good. You should try this

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts