A Minimalist Trip to Texas

I've been in Texas the past few days visiting my parents and keeping a minimal schedule (aka not attempting to see everyone that I know).  I would very much appreciate seeing others, but sometimes quality has to trump quantity and with this short trip that was definitely the case.  I have been experimenting a little with the ideas of minimalism.  Although people may often have different definitions of what minimalism is (and many times the word conjures images of ridding oneself of excess things), it is basically another way of saying that one wants to live a more intentional life.  This leaves the interpretation open to the individual, allowing for everyone to dance to their own unique playlist.

Minimalism asks this question: What's most important to you and if someone were to observe from the outside, what would they guess is most important to you?

This reminds me to look at my actions.  Values and beliefs certainly matter.  Values and beliefs answer the why in our lives.  Ultimately however, what really matters are our actions.  So what we're really talking about in a minimalist life is this, aligning one's actions with one's values/beliefs.  Sounds simple enough but it's not always so easy in our more is better society.  We are too comfortable buying things we don't need, taking loans for things we can't afford, and spending time on things we don't value.  Minimalism is an old movement towards a more intentional life (the stoics discussed paring down ones life incessantly).

Minimalism.  You pay more attention to the present.  You pay more attention to what you allow into your life.  You consider the cost of everything.  The cost of bad relationships, poor spending habits, not striving for a better job or position when you know your current situation does not align with your values...

I have spent quite a bit of time on Joshua and Ryan's Minimalist website.  I would encourage you to check out many of their essays on various topics.

So while at home, I enjoyed homemade meals with my family and we kept our agenda very simple.  I saw my father and my one living grandparent.  And that was it.  No other goals or distractions to accomplish.  I packed lightly, taking a small bag instead of my typical suitcase.  We enjoyed lots of great conversation and time together.  I ate a lot of vegetables from my step-father's garden and decided I would include a few pictures so you could see just how amazing his garden is.  Talk about perfectly tasting vegetables, the grocery store will never compare.

Cauliflower and broccoli. 

So much lettuce!

This is one way to water all of your rows.

Searching for any good beans remaining.

Comments

Popular Posts