Wheels, wheels, wheels

As a kid growing up in El Campo, I spent quite a bit of time on wheels.  Mostly this was my bicycle.  It brought a sense of freedom and invigoration in an otherwise slow-paced, small-town existence.  Some days I would ride from one end of town to the other.  If I had a wild hair, I might try to build a ramp or spend the day jumping curves at the school campus (they had lots of concrete).  Sometimes I would look for loose change in parking lots; in the 90's I could still find a 10-cent soda or 25-cent candy.  This kept my little body sugar-filled and it was to the fortune of my pancreas that I was always active and outside.

I also liked weapons!

I enjoyed skateboarding and roller-blading but I was probably the least talented at boarding.  Later in college, I taught myself to ride a unicycle.  While in college I often used my roller-blades to study.  I'll have to explain that one as it sounds quite dangerous.  I made note cards and would carry them as I rode around campus.  Glancing at a note card I would then blade around and ponder the concept or anatomy part or whatever for a period of time.  It seemed I could study this way for hours, in a flow state, my brain much sharper.  This was my favorite way to study.

After college I tried snowboarding and while I wasn't a pro, even without lessons I could ride the board.  As a Colorado resident (and a dweller for >5 yrs), I haven't snowboarded very much but I would like to get back into riding some kind of board.  In my adult life I have continued to long for self-propelled flow-state movement and I have found it in many different activities (hence why I own a road bike, mountain bike, stand up paddle board, rock climbing shoes, a unicycle, and lots of camping/hiking/running gear and have been a dedicated crossfit gym member). Even so I miss the board.  I'm not sure if the board misses me.


See how fun?
Extra fun to bike up big things - like Pikes Peak.

I've decided to give the board another try as it was always my least skillful time on wheels as a child.  As I get older I realize the need to continue to challenge my body in healthful ways.  I frequently lift weights, my cardio is great, and my balance and flexibility are fair.  I also try to challenge myself by going outside regardless of how uncomfortable the weather might be.  But as far as motor patterns, I see an opportunity with boarding.  I can't be sure it will translate to better snowboarding but it shouldn't hurt my chances on the slopes.  Longboarding seems the way to go as the larger board and wheels makes it easier to ride/control.  This makes them an excellent commuter board and I really appreciate the idea of combining fun with something practical (it makes it slightly more likely that I will incorporate boarding into my life).  I love to bring flow-state movement into my day.

There are a lot of retailers for long boards but I decided to go with KOTA boards.  They are American-made in Denver, CO.  The close proximity also means less waste in shipping hundreds or thousands of miles to me.  The company was started by a veteran and they employ veterans as well (if you're into that kind of thing).  I've purchased the Mile High Edition.  It looks as though it takes about 1 week to manufacture and up to another week to arrive in the mail.  I will try to do a review once it's in and I've had a chance to use it.




Well, that's all for now!  I hope everyone has a good holiday.

Comments

Popular Posts