What is Gratitude

We have long heard the benefits of taking even 5 minutes first thing in the morning to express some gratitude for all the things in your life for which you're thankful.  I have not necessarily gotten in the habit of doing this first thing in the morning (I really like coffee first), but I have used this recommendation throughout my day.  I find myself naturally happier when I focus on all that I have.  It works.  It makes sense.

What I have never really thought much about is WHY it works.  A few weeks ago I was listening to a podcast where a self-proclaimed zen buddhist dove deep into this topic.  What did he have to say?

Well just imagine yourself in a moment in your life when you received something you really wanted.  Think of a time when the events of your life finally aligned the way you wanted.  It feels good.  It feels like all the things that are happening in the world are finally the way they should be.  For a moment in time, you aren't fighting the rest of the world and the way you think things should be.  But as for most of our lives, we spend an inordinate amount of time fighting the way things are.  Another terrorist attack, another crooked politician, another health issue, another death, another accident, more pressure, more expectations, more busyness...

STOP for a moment.

Is gratitude ignoring the realities of modern human existence?  It is just an optimist thing?  Not at all.  Gratitude is a moment in the day you stop fighting everything that is.  Practicing gratitude gives you the chance to realize how many things you can say YES to in your life.  This is important for many practical reasons such as using the resources you have to their greatest potential and not wasting time on things you can't control (like changing someone else's behavior).  Gratitude is saying YES to life while you are still living.  Let that soak in for just a moment.

To the eternal pessimist or the person who struggles to find gratitude for anything I would say...this is all temporary.  I know that everyone and everything will eventually fall away.  I'll do everything I can to create a better world, but as for my own personal life, I'm going to make it a priority to enjoy every moment of it.  I will revel in all the little things and find gratitude every single day.  I cast no judgement on anyone else.  I just know what the practice of gratitude has done for me.  I know that every little moment of the day when I stop to find gratitude, I immediately find peace, calm, connection to others, and ultimately more life and energy to do the things I need to do.

Gratitude is a very cool thing.  Almost magical.  Whatever it does to my brain I like.  What has gratitude done for you?

Comments

Popular Posts