The Summer of Never Summer

It's just shy of 0500 and the rain is falling heavily outside my window.  Otherwise downtown is pretty quiet less a few passing cars.  Today I will head to work at Dynamic and afterward my friend Melissa and I will hit the road with two dogs.  This evening we will end in Fort Collins and aptly meet up with our friend Colin.  Friday we will reach our final destination, Walden, CO.  It's here that we'll stage our gear and review our plans for the weekend ahead.  My good friends Melissa and Colin will be running the Never Summer 100k on Saturday.  The race begins at 0530 and they have 24-hours to complete the course.  A few things.  It's actually 64-miles.  There's 13,000 ft of elevation gain at relatively high altitude.  And it's rugged.



Of course I have all the faith that both Melissa and Colin will be successful.  I myself an thrilled to play support crew and follow them along the course to cheer and offer assistance.  There might even be an American Romper in there somewhere.  I'll see if I can work in a report when I return.

So far I have survived the Leadville race series, albeit the easier runs.  Following a DNF at the Dirty 30, when apparently I was very sick and didn't realize just how sick I saw, I ran a cautious Leadville Marathon two weeks later.  The following weekend I raced Spartan Chicago and managed to qualify for the World Championships.  Two weeks later I raced the Leadville 50M ("Silver Rush") and had a great race.  I feel I recovered quickly too.  It reminds me of my cross country days when we would race almost every weekend.  For years now I do not race often, primarily b/c it costs money, but clearly for my performance racing often has been good, at least for a season of the year.  I suspect I may scheme to load up my the summer of 2019 with more racing.  I earned an entry into the 2019 Leadville 100-mile trail run, so my plan is to likely run this and other races, not do Leadwoman again (at least right away).

It's been a fun summer so far.  It's going by quickly as always.  The farm isn't ready for me yet but it's getting there.  The apartment is currently under renovation and I have loaned my good friends the cash to complete the apartment so that I can move there in a relatively short period of time.  Otherwise it might be 6-9 months before they started work on it and they'd like for me to live there, at least on a trial basis, to help care for the horses.  We worked this deal instead of the RV or Tiny House option which in the end I think this will be a much better deal for me.  In this case, I'm not investing any money that I'll lose (because RVs and Tiny Houses depreciate) and frankly I'll have much better protection from the storms.  This year along the Fountain area has been battered by two severe hail storms, one with softball-size hail which totaled cars and pummeled homes and the latest involved a 1-ft deluge of smaller-size hail.

But for now it's on with my day.  The Jeep is loaded up.  I know I've packed too many jackets for this trip but when you're adventuring you might need more than you think.  Or less.  Happy trails.







Comments

Popular Posts