Spartan Big Bear

Since we last spoke I have made my official transfer and even had my first drill.  I've met some very good people at the guard and I'm slowly getting settled in.  I did come to realize that as far as sports funds go for the entire fiscal year 2019 (FY19), there basically are no funds due a diversion to border security operations last year.  They seem to think we can get money for FY20 so I'm holding hope I can do some gnarly, fun competitions on behalf of the guard.  Maybe I'll even jump out of a plane, who knows.

I ran a few "easy" races in April as training runs...the Rattler 50k at Palmer Park and the Cheyenne Mountain 25k as well.  The Rattler proved to be a formidable opponent because it was raining and the temp was in the 30's for the entire race.  And it was muddy, oh so muddy.  The 25k I ran in my Luna Roots Sandals with leather straps and my large straw sun hat...so...it was like a fun run.  I placed 3rd in both.

I'd managed to hit the gym a few times to do some planks and carry kettle bells.  All this was my training leading up to Spartan Big Bear where I would attempt to qualify for the Spartan World Championships at Lake Tahoe for my 5th time.  I was a bit concerned through the month of May because I'd added more hours at work and had become incredibly busy between work, traveling for drill, and taking care of normal adult tasks.  My training took a hit and I knew that I did not have many opportunities to qualify.  If I didn't get this one I would have to either go to CA again in two weeks to race for top-10 or race Fort Carson and place top 5, and then race the Regional Champsionships in West Virginia in August and get top-20 (one week after running the Leadville 100M trail run).  You do the math.

Fortunately I went to Big Bear last weekend and qualified without over-stressing my body or sustaining an injury.  I'm grateful for this...saving me time and money but still allowing me to go to Tahoe and compete at the highest level.  It's just a fun thing to do.  It's different than an ultra-marathon.  It's a higher intensity and even though it's shorter than 100-miles, you go through all the same emotions in that shorter period of time.  I love working through my shit on the course.  If you're pushing yourself to attain a goal, especially one involving competition with others, you basically question and find an answer to every question you've ever had about who you are and what you're made of in one race.  You can whine.  You can make excuses.  Sure.  But it doesn't do you any good.  Best get on with living your life, do your best, put it all out there, and learn to love yourself no matter the outcome. 

I also just want to mention that we have had an interesting winter and spring...very cold and very wet.  I guess for a Texan like myself, this represents a normal Colorado Springs climate whereas the climate since I arrived in 2011 has been relatively dry and hot.  Oh well, I guess I like it either way.  It's a beautiful place but I could do without a blizzard on May 21.

Also a new "front yard" deck is underway at my house, to be completed next week.  I'm super excited.  It's more expensive than I thought it would be, but it's also made from some of the best materials I could get my hands on so I expect it to last a very long time.  And gosh darn it, life is short.  Just friggin live it.

Comments

Popular Posts