a deployed soldier rant

Since returning from the weekend in Telluride, work has been a major focus in my life.  I'll leave out the boring details of work.  Elizabeth and Santiago departed Colorado just over a week ago.  Elizabeth has begun her training to become a flight nurse and will be moving to Germany some time in OCT.  I know that she and Santiago will do well but I will miss their company and cheer.

Sometimes when I hop on the blog I think to myself, my life can't possibly be that interesting for someone else to read about.  But I know that a lot of what makes my life feel amazing at times are the experiences I see other people going through.  Their experiences remind me of all that life entails, how vast and deep is the thread that binds us, and how we all have a part to play.  All of our struggles can be shared.  Even when we feel most confused and alone, it's more than likely the product of our imagination than reality.

From the 4th Infantry Division, 4th Brigade is deployed to Afghanistan right now.  1st Brigade is headed out in early 2013.  My brigade is leaving for Kuwait autumn 2013.  We've spent the last 10 years hearing about our soldiers dying in Iraq and Afghanistan, but now as I read the reports of soldiers from 4/4 being killed...one after another after another after another based out of Ft Carson...it is a haunting reminder that many families in this city and across the nation were forever changed this month...this week.  Every night we sleep the fighting continues.  It's something I think about a great deal these days.  I guess I've lived the better part of my life naively.  I didn't leave America last year expecting to die.  And yet we have many that say goodbye to families, board a plane, and never see each other again.  It's a harsh reality of war and one that I don't think America can ever thank those soldiers and family enough for...and that's forgetting to mention all our wounded.

As I finish another long day at work, I thank God I live in this country.  As I run along my neighborhood streets in the cool evening air with a gorgeous sunset on the mountains, I think about the soldiers who won't be coming back to see this.  I work with air conditioning, I drive a car, I don't have to wear body armor just to go outside, I sleep in my own bed, I can call my family whenever I want, and I enjoy days off work.  This isn't the case with our loved ones deployed overseas, living in poor conditions and fighting our battles for us.  Ultimately we must turn the table and take care of our veterans and families and I can only hope that America is paying attention.  I can only hope that we do not forget.

All that life entails,
how vast and deep is the thread that binds us.
We all have a part to play.
All of our struggles can be shared.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts