Super Feet

It's time to give a little update.  The past couple months have been a whirlwind as I left active duty (still on terminal leave though), moved out of my home and into a nanny job at Erin's house, and began to make strides in my personal business (and started two other part-time jobs...and continued to train for the Pikes Peak marathon/Imogene/Spartan World Championships).  As I tell all of my friends and family, it's been busy but good.

Firstly, an update on the barefoot action.  I have not yet aspired to run a barefoot marathon, although maybe some day this will be a desire for me.  For now I am happy to run without pain and I feel lighter and springier on my feet with every passing week.  Talk about a 180 after months of feeling none of my interventions were working to get me running pain-free again.  It's also been a fun experiment to watch my feet change.  I suspect it will take some time before I reach my limit of adaptation (talking 2 years or more).  I've noticed the following changes in my feet since starting,
- feet have widened
- all arches have raised (medial, lateral, and transverse)
- visibly more muscle all around, especially noticeable in the arch and along the 5th metatarsal
- easier to balance
- overall feet feel strong and are without pain



I mostly run in Luna sandals right now (the tan lines give it away).  I'll have to figure out something else for the winter.  But until then I am enjoying wearing the sandals...they give me absolutely everything I need to get around.  It's hard to describe the feeling of going from hot, smelly shoes to open-toed sandals where my foot can widen and my toes can freely move.  It's like breaking out of prison I imagine...or better yet, getting a pardon and not being on the run.

I'll try to do an update after the Pikes Peak marathon to let you all know how it went.  If the weather holds I imagine it's just going to be one awesome party.  Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts