The Inner Versus Outer Mentality

I've spent more time lately writing articles in the Natural Performance Rehab blog and have neglected this one a bit lately.  I'll take that to mean I'm not lazy; I am just learning to pace myself.

One idea I've returned to recently that I'd like to share is how we all fall into living our lives, at least once in awhile, around certain expectations or standards that are outside of ourselves.  In other words, it is not an expectation that is yours, coming from your very center, your deepest inner being that is pure, it is an outer-world arbitrary standard which for some reason you have chosen to adopt.  We all find ourselves at certain times measuring our own personal success by this outer standard.

Can we have in place a system that we use to prevent getting caught in this rat race?
Can we ask ourselves a few simple questions to help discern what we truly want?

I believe that it is in our best long-term interest to observe and study each "measuring stick" we are using to judge ourselves currently and ask, "does this align with who I am at my very core."  Of course this implies that you have some understanding of who you are at your very core and this will not be an automatic, easy answer for most people.  Personally I have found it is helpful to meditate and write down my feelings, desires, fears, etc to better understand what actually drives me.

For example, I may desire to have a successful business, but what is at the core of owning a successful business?

Financial security maybe?  Okay, why do I want that?  So my general feeling of security improves?  Okay why do I want that?  So I don't have to rely on others for everything, so I'm not a burden, so I feel I am contributing something to the world?  Continue...why?  So I feel that my life is worth something.

Okay, now that's a deeper meaning that can be helpful.  And it's important to get to this deeper meaning because while we cannot control the outer world very much, we can control our inner world.  There are many ways for me to be successful at "making my life worth something" and it may or may not involve a successful business.  If and when certain things in our lives do not work out, if we understand what it is we truly desire, we can move forward knowing that there are countless ways to accomplish the same goal.  We remain open to new opportunities and we reach our highest goals and desires.

Outer conditions are like waves in the ocean.  There will always be highs and lows.  There will always be opinions of others that label you, suppress you, limit you.  This of course cannot be your focus.  The good news is that if we are always cultivating and focusing on the inner conditions, we will live our lives much more grounded and in tune with our deepest desires.  There is a reason for your every thought and action, however sometimes it appears cloudy or murky and it's typically because we are trying to use someone else's lens, not our own.

The outer world has storms that come and go but you can remain centered in your inner truths with daily commitment.


So what is it that you want?  Write it all down.  Then ask why and keep asking yourself why until you get to the core of what it is you really want.

No one looks at a newborn baby and thinks, "you're too fat, you're useless, you're not a productive member of society, you're not smart enough..."  You just see the baby and are in awe of this amazing process called life.  I realize we aren't all newborns but the worth of our inner being has not changed despite growing older.  You are worth the same as the day you were born a beautiful new baby.

This baby is perfect!


Start each day with that image and move forward knowing that absolutely no outer-world conditions can ever change the fact that your inner being is as perfect as it needs to be.  The only risk is that you forget this yourself and become ashamed or fearful.  Don't.

Namaste for today!

Comments

Popular Posts