A Little Southern Update

This morning I am sitting in a hotel in Columbus, GA.  Out the window it's cloudy, drizzly, and cool. Tomorrow I have the fortune of running a Spartan race for the All-Army team.  This will be my third Spartan race, second of which I'm running with the Army, and it will be my 10th All-Army event since 2010.  I never get tired of it.  I never take a trip such as this for granted.  The competitions are an opportunity to step out of the daily grind and monotony we often find ourselves living in and awaken the child inside.  Time to go play outside, time to sprint, climb, crawl, jump, roll, throw, and carry...it's just time to get excited and run hard, feel those legs and lungs burn like hell.  These trips take me back to my college days, in essence, being paid or reimbursed in some way to do what I would be doing anyway, playing outside.

I guess you could call this playing outside...but in Texas this may involve hunting for your dinner.

High school cross country was also outdoor play time...except that usually I felt like I might throw up.

So a few weeks ago I ran a 50k in Moab with some friends.  Well...mostly ran.  I'm still working through a little foot issue caused by a poor shoe choice in the winter.  That said, I covered the distance in a reasonable amount of time, so I can tick the 50k off my list and continue to build for Leadville.  Moab is a great place to enjoy the outdoors (which is one thing Colorado Springs and Moab have in common).  It being generally warmer and drier in Moab, it makes a great spring retreat for Colorado dwellers looking to work on their vitamin D production.  I could talk a lot about all of the sights and activities you can do in Moab, but I'll save myself the trouble and just recommend that you spend 5 minutes on Google.  You might be surprised to see what you can do there.  Personally, I like the running, biking, hiking, and SUPing.  That said, my recent trip to Moab could be considered a success, mainly because I got a tan.


It was still cold when this picture was taken...but later came the warmth of the sun and many, many units of UV rays.

This trip is a pretty small one for the Army, three guys and three gals racing...our coach couldn't be here and our top athlete, Robert Killian, is actually busy with the Best Ranger Competition this weekend so will not be available to race.  My primary performance goal for tomorrow is to qualify for the World Championships again.  I won't likely have room on my calendar to do another race until the championships themselves...so if I want to go I really need to qualify here.

As all my Colorado Springs friends are well aware, the local weather won't be so good this weekend.  Rain and snow are forecasted through Sunday night.  Many people say that Colorado in the spring is bipolar.  If it's sunny and warm, just wait a minute, it will change.  I think that's pretty normal for the spring anyway but what I've felt to be true about Colorado weather is that it gets so angry...the winds, the hail, lightning, the heavier rains and snow, the bad road conditions...it just gets angry!  My hope is that my flight makes it back on time Sunday and that the weather decides to be clear for next weekend.  Can you say camping trip?

Coming soon,
Fort Benning Spartan Race Recap
Potential Camping Trip - Sangre De Cristos Spring 2016
The supposed proposition to run RIM to RIM to RIM, April 28, 2016.

Comments

Popular Posts