You Can Do More Than You Think You Can - Ken Chlouber



The famous Leadville 100 trail run is 4 days away.  I love the anticipation.  Having such a monumental task ahead brings me front and center, to this very moment, like few things do.  I guess if I had to say there is one thing this year that brought me to the present, it was the passing of Maida.

All that I have to do is think about her and I am immediately brought to the here and now.  I think of Maida and I am immediately drawn to my environment.  I did a short, shake out jog this afternoon and was a little distracted as I pondered Leadville logistics.  I saw ahead a rather overweight gentleman, older, with extremely varus knees wobbling down the trail, slow as molasses.  As I passed him I turned around slightly, smiled, gave him a thumbs up, and said, “great job man.”  In that moment I was thinking, the great athletes get all the glory and accolades, but I was just as impressed with this guy and I wanted to share it.  Later I had turned and was coming back to him and I gave him a high-five and another “nice job!”  And for some reason Maida came to mind again.  I knew she would be the one to celebrate another’s success or honest effort.  Touching his hand in passing felt like lightning.  We were both smiling.

I talk…all this talk about the effort and belief mattering more than the outcome.  Yes, I believe it.  But it can be so hard to not be tied to an outcome when you have given it everything you can.

I met Ken Chlouber, founder of the Leadville 100, briefly this weekend at the Leadville 10k.  Sean Cook and I were walking near the finish when Sean saw Ken and we went over to say hi.  When Ken found out I would be running the 100-mile race this weekend he said, “Just don’t stop until I tell you to stop.  Ken stands at the finish line to greet the finishers each year.  I appreciated the simplicity in his words.  He is also famous for saying “You're better than you think you are, you can do more than you think you can.”  The quote is prominently displayed on the Leadville Race Series website.

I think we look to those around us for cues on how to react, think, feel, and behave.  The value of this depends on with whom you decide to spend time.  I am fortunate in the people I know.  They all make me better in some way.  So as I look to those around me who have all overcome major life obstacles, I am inspired and grateful for those relationships.  If you for a moment want to have some clue what it feels like to be a champion, go sign up for something you aren’t sure you can even finish.  If you ever for a moment criticized another, try carrying their load.

I bet the guy I saw wobbling down the trail wasn’t all that different.  I bet there are days he is unsure if he can get out to make his running loop.  Maybe he could do a lot of things better in life, who knows?  But I know one thing for absolute damn sure, he is out there sweating.  He didn’t stop moving until his race was done.  I can only ask for the same courage.  We are all fighting for our lives, in our own way, we are all fighting to have courage.

Have hope.
Be strong.
Laugh loud.
Play hard.
Live in the moment.
Smile often.

Dream big.
Remember you are loved and
never, ever give up.

Comments

Popular Posts