Philosophy - It's What's For Breakfast


This year when I wake up I thought I might read while I drink my morning coffee.  At the very least, I read the daily quote and commentary from "The Daily Stoic."  This takes all of 2-3 minutes even if I am in a hurry (which I rarely am).  You may have noticed this as you've read a few stoic quotes already in 2017.

There are a few reasons why I think it is important to start my day with a bit of philosophy...

  • I become mindful early in the day.  This helps me live each day more intentionally.
  • I start my day with a purpose.  It is easier to plan and prioritize my efforts.
  • I experience less negative emotion and when I do feel negative I am able to examine myself more easily instead of getting caught up in the events of the day.


This routine has been an excellent use of my time.  In some ways, this small routine is designed to help me avoid mindless routines and habits that will inevitably creep up in my life.  Many of these routines and habits become self-destructive, or at best, a complete waste of our time.  Beginning the day with philosophy, which is inherently a guide to living life, is akin to calibrating my compass for the day.  Because I have already thought about how I want to live my life and the most important things, decision-making is much easier and my mind becomes MORE free from the every day worries we all face.

You can start by reading anything you like.  You can mix and match people and time periods and religious texts.  Anything that brings more awareness to your life will suffice.  Just read for 2-3 minutes first thing each morning and allow those helpful bits of wisdom to seep into your mind.  You set the stage for a better day.  And living one day as well as you can is all you must do.  You only need to live today in a more mindful and meaningful way.  In return you will receive a life that is all yours, a quite amazing experience.  And all you really must do is give your mind some food for thought.  Give the mind something helpful and useful to chew on.

Comments

Popular Posts