Updates

A lot has happened since I last made an entry here.  I started to write my Leadville summary and it's still in the edit phase.  I'll finish it at some point this year I think.  It's been a whirlwind of events since the Leadville 100-mile trail run.  It was an epic day...or 5-minutes beyond a day...24 hours and 5 minutes to be exact.  I started weighing my desire to buy a house after the farm-living situation didn't work out and I felt at home at my new job at Dynamic PT.  I was entirely new to the process but felt like I was surrounded by a lot of good people who could help me work through everything in a realistic fashion.

So as of this evening I have a house under contract to buy in Manitou Springs.  Manitou is mostly a resort town nestled at the base of Pikes Peak.  There are many ways to summit Pikes but Manitou is the main corridor for most people and is home to the world-famous Pikes Peak Cog Railway.  That said, the railway is currently shut down and may or may not fully re-open to the public.  I hope it does because it really is a one-of-a-kind feature in the world.

But at my price range, it's amazing to find anything livable in Manitou Springs.  So when a small house, 552 sq ft, that was newly renovated inside and outside came available...it only lasted 3 days on the market.  I saw it pop up and got in an offer before anyone else.  Another person offered 2k more but I was able to match the price with a cleaner contract and the seller accepted my offer.  Still lots to sort out with the inspection and appraisal but hopefully this being a newly flipped home, there shouldn't be many surprises.

I sat in the main open room yesterday, which is basically a living room, dining room, and kitchen all in one, and stared out the window at the view towards Williams Canyon.  It just felt right and I didn't need much more than that.  Manitou living means I'm right at the trail head.  No driving anywhere early in the mornings to get my nature-fix.  I just get up and run.  This is who I am at my very core.  I've dreamt my whole life of living in the mountains.  Living in Colorado Springs has essentially been that but this Manitou home seals the deal.

The cost per square foot of this home is insanely high but the location at this price can't be beat.  The market here in Colorado Springs and the surrounding area (especially anything on the west side of town) is very expensive.  To find this house I actually feel pretty lucky.  It's still mostly a seller's market although that may shift in the coming months and years.

I've spent the past 3 years post-active duty working less after cutting my expenses.  It's been a GREAT experience and I am so happy to have lived this way.  I've been able to do so much with the extra free time and rediscover myself after years of blind work.  Despite picking up a mortgage, I still want to live relatively cheap and free, but doing the math I'll need to work 4 days per week to pay all my bills and save enough.  I know it sounds trite.  Part of me says I should work extra hard in my younger years to save for older Sam and I think that's correct to a degree.  But I also know things don't always work out the way we plan and there is no guarantee I'll make to retirement.  Just trying to find some balance now.

The other big thing that is weighing on me is whether or not I can make a transfer to the California Army National Guard to participate in one of their athlete programs.  I'm on a conference call tomorrow to see if this is even a possibility.  After 10-yrs in the Army as a physical therapist, I'm just trying to mix it up, take every opportunity that interests me, and make the most of my short time on earth.  Today was a big day and tomorrow will be another big day.

But you know...change is good.  There is no need to be stagnant.  There is no more security in stagnation as there is in constant evolution.

Comments

Popular Posts