I received my last round of packages a few days ago.  It was a bittersweet moment considering that I love care packages, but not getting them anymore means I’m coming home.  It’s a trade I’m willing to make.

It’s been warming up here, although nothing by “Afghanistan summer” standards.  I’ve heard it’s regularly over 110 around here in July and August.  No thank you.  However, my lunchtime runs are already producing a nice farmer’s tan and a little more redness on my face than I’d like.  I’m working on the sunscreen application, but it’s tough sometimes.  The sun is very hot in this part of the world…you can feel it cooking your skin…you can smell it cooking you!

Much of our brigade has been loading and staging equipment at my FOB, so depending on what’s going on that day, I may have a ton of patients or just a couple.  I’ve seen a fair number of injuries or aggravation of older injuries since people have been moving heavy equipment.  Lots of backs hurting, a few shoulder injuries (something falling on them), and the new guys getting here complaining their feet hurt walking on all these rocks.

Lots of changes coming…the FOB is growing in size with new construction (it will be an “enduring” location if you will)…lots of units coming and going…just waiting now for my turn.  I still have awhile before I get a day off, but it’s coming!

Sorry such a short post – I’ve been working later hours and getting into bed exhausted and not wanting to get online to type a few words.  Thanks for continuing to read though – I’m still in stinky Afghanistan so it means a lot J

Comments

Popular Posts