It’s a nice evening here in Afghanistan.  I’m having a drink of tea as I write (thanks mom and pops).  The weather here has started feeling more spring-like over the past week.  It’s warmed up into the 70’s in the afternoon, so I’m starting to get some sun running around the expansion on my lunch break.  I try to get out there right after dinner too (despite the occasional gastric distress) so I can see the sun set over the mountains.  It’s often the quietest time of day for me…jogging on the gravel rock as the sky churns through reds, oranges, pinks, and purples.  The Afghanistan mountains are unlike any other mountain ranges I’ve seen before.  And for a moment I forget that I am in a foreign land away from my loved ones.  I could just as well be in paradise…for a split second I am running in the wild and I am free.  I am not on a “prison” FOB.  I am content to just witness the sun fall below the horizon.  It’s a gift.

Today at the gym there was a guy busting out a whole lot of pullups, but it was the kind where you don’t straighten your elbows at the bottom, basically what I call “half-ass pull-ups.”  I smiled and walked over to the guy after one of his sets and said, “have you ever done ‘L pullups?’”  He didn’t know what I was talking about so I showed him how to do one.  So for his next set he jumps up and starts doing the L pull-ups.  Instead of 20 or so reps, he could only handle about 5 or 6.  After he dropped down from the bar, he looked at me and said, “man, I should have done those before I got so tired!”  Afterwards he did several more sets doing the L pull up, which is way harder and a progression that he was ready for based on the ease of doing regular pull ups.  And for a moment I was glad…Samantha Wood, Physical Therapist, progressing exercise everywhere!

Those are the little victories every day.

I’m getting some races on my calendar when I return to Colorado.  I figure I can sign up for them to ensure I have a spot, and worse care scenario I don’t run and waste a few dollars.  Right now I’m considering the Pikes Peak Ascent in August and the Durango Double in early October.  I’d still like to be a member of the All-Army marathon team again and the Marine Corps Marathon is in late October…so the Durango Double might be a stretch.  But what the heck?  It’s a runner’s festival if anything else and you only live once (and it’s in the autumn!).

Hope everyone doing is well and thanks for continuing to tune in!  Just want to throw out a HUGE thanks to everyone that has sent mail to me.  I usually get it in the afternoon when I’m ready for a nap.  Always gets me through the rest of the day, so thank you all again.  Last day to mail me anything is March 15th.  This is good news overall, means I’ll be heading home before you know it!

Comments

Popular Posts