Finally caught a moment to write!  I've found myself busy this past week doing all sort of tasks in the evenings.  I still drink my tea, but you'll find me working on a powerpoint, calculating stats, writing emails, making phone calls, or maybe even running around the container yard helping Merkler put RFID tags and stickers on huge metal containers.  I have about 2 weeks until the physical therapist from the incoming  unit gets here.  I can't say I'm breaking records with patient numbers, but I definitely stay busy here.  It will be nice to have some help.

I've found it's not that hard to become a celebrity on a FOB in Afghanistan, even if you don't want to be "recognized."  All you have to do is look a little different from everyone else.  If I'm not stopped by a patient (or potential patient) with questions when I go outside my clinic, I'm stopped by someone asking me how far I run every day.  It's usually a benign issue, except that there are many times when I'd rather just take a quiet walk to pick up my laundry or eat a meal at the dining facility in peace.  My deployed family understands this well, it's a unique environment.  I don't mean to bring this up as a "complaint" so much as to help others recognize why their family and friends may return home from deployments a little detached, anxious, angry, or otherwise kind of a butthole. Try to realize that your loved one has just spent the past year (or however long the deployment was) without much privacy, personal time, and with limited emotional support.  Phone calls, emails, skyping are nice...but they can never take the place of seeing people and getting away from stressors.  Here you are on the job 24/7 and no one has any sympathy for you...they are in the same boat.

Of course the realities of the Army are nothing like what you see in the commercials.  But it's advertising and the fact is that your dish-liquid may not make all of your dishes shine, your shampoo may not give you the volume you're looking for, and the car that's so fun to drive in the commercial will probably get you pulled over.  One of the greatest challenges I've faced since joining the military has been "staying true" to myself and my personality.  There are a lot of good people in the service, plenty of folks with a sense of humor and great personalities...I talk to them every day.  But one also has to realize that by the very nature of the Army, there's a lot of facades that folks put on to appear in control.  It's kind of sad at times, because you know that folks aren't okay, but they are often afraid to open up because of the stigmas so deeply ingrained in the Army and the potential consequences from their peers or leaders.  There is always risk in opening up and being truthful.  There's always risk when you do the right thing.  When people do not have enough support, they often make the wrong decision - which is to shut down, shut people out, take the easy road...they've given up.  They have nothing left to give.

Those are just some observations I wanted to share as my time in theater slowly draws to an end.  I will update this blog as often as I can...so expect more posts as I won't likely be in the United States until late-May.  Thanks for listening and tuning in over the past few months.  I hope everyone has an enjoyable Easter weekend.  Take this time to enjoy the simple things in life and connect with your loved ones.  And if applicable to you, wage the war of prayer for all of those you care for...and even your enemies.

Comments

  1. Sam, it's good to hear you coming to these realizations early. Stay true to yourself, be different but not seeking attention, whatever most of those around you do...make the opposite choice. Very proud of all you've accomplished and proud to be a part of your Framly.

    ab

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts