Every Mile is a Gift


2012 Women's All-Army Marathon Team
Armed Forces Competition - Marine Corps Marathon
October 28, 2012

(left to right: Nicole Solana, me, Sara Day, Maria Urso)

It's been a memorable week.

Every race is one of a kind.  I'd never run with a coach actually at my side.  Gary Brimmer stood at the starting line with the girls team, he was going to help us all run well.  "I promise it's going to hurt ladies."  I ran with Gary for the first 8 miles.  Then he ran ahead during most of the race with Nicole as she pushed to break 3 hours in the marathon.  I ran conservative, knowing that my hip would throw a fit at some point.  I wanted to hold out as long as possible.  If I could run under 3:10 I'd be happy though I felt a 3:05 was possible.

Mile 14 is when it started to hurt.  But I stayed with it, pressed on a mile at a time trying to stay with the 3:05 pace group.  I played in my mind the picture of Amby Burfoot, former Boston Marathon winner, speaking to marathon runners the day before the race.  He said "every mile is a gift."  I kept my gaze forward as my hamstring hurt more and more.

Mile 18, I remembered all of those runs this past summer, when my hip hurt and I didn't know if I'd even make it to the starting line.  I was reminded of the passion and the desire it took to keep training.  No matter how dire the situation, I couldn't give up.  The 3:05 pace group was ahead of me but within my sight and not out of my reach.

Mile 21, I knew I just had a few more miles.  "What's 5 miles of pain in a lifetime?" I asked aloud.  I started trying to catch people.  I gained on the 3:05 pace group.  They were in my sights and it was no longer a question of whether or not I would pass them.  I was going to make every effort.  No regrets.

I caught up to Gary around mile 23.  I could see that I was gaining on him.  My hamstring screamed at me and I answered with the same answer I'd given before...press on.  I passed Gary.  "You wench! " he yelled with an obvious tone of admiration for the effort.  "Use your arms!  This is the time to work!"  I laughed to myself because I knew as much as I hurt, he was right.  He promised it would hurt.  I knew it would hurt.  But I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.  The wind blew hard in my face as I climbed a hill near mile 25 and I ran that mile in 6:49.

The homestretch.  Is there anything else a runner dreams of?
I ran my last mile in 6:53.  I finished in 3:04:30.  There's a short but steep hill about 100 meters from the finish line where my legs locked up, I practically limped across the finish line.  I could barely walk as I moved towards the finisher's area.

Our men's team won the Armed Forces Competition and our women's team finished 2nd behind the Air Force (still our strongest showing in years).  Nicole broke 3 hours for the first time.  Sara Day had broken 3 hours in past races, but it had been awhile so she was grateful to have a sub-3 hr performance.  I ran my best race in almost 4 years.  Maria ran a very solid race, improving a minute over last year.  I was very proud of our team this year.  Truly a great group of human beings, I'd be proud to run or work with these women any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  I can't really say it enough, it was my good fortune to compete with them, support them, and just spend time with them.

We still beat "superstorm" Sandy, which I figure is the name they give a storm when it's no longer a hurricane but still extremely destructive.  Flights were cancelled on Monday and Tuesday.  Nicole and Maria got out Wednesday, although Maria was stuck in Baltimore for 24+ hours.  Most of us are leaving D.C. tomorrow morning on what is the first full day of travel for Regean airport since the storm.

Thank you Washington D.C. for almost 2 weeks of great races, amazing people, beautiful sights, and time to reflect on all the things I'm grateful for.  I was able to see our nations most precious monuments, museums, and memorials.  I was touched by the stories of our heroes, our founding fathers, and all of the citizens that made a contribution for the greater good.  Sacrifice is the string that binds us all together.  We give our best, not because it's good for us, but because it's the right thing to do.

I thought about it in Afghanistan as I ran almost 1,000 miles on rocky terrain.  I thought about it when it was hot and dusty and I had to breath dirt and smoke.  I thought about it when I contemplated the plight of women in Afghanistan.  I thought about it every time I trained.  Every time.  When I returned home and breathed fresh air again, when I had to work through my injury, and when I'd worked 13 hours and still had to run.  Amby wasn't being cheesy when he said that every mile is a gift.  That's real.

Comments

Popular Posts