Climbing mountains

I know...

My blog title of "deployment digest" doesn't really capture what it is I do anymore.  Truthfully, changing the name is not a priority in my life.  I'd say that I'm "too lazy" but I run marathons for fun so I think it's more of a priority thing.  So it's been just over a year since I returned from Afghanistan and back to regular American society.  I know we have our problems but I love America.  It's a really amazing place (and time) to live.  Despite all the stress and worry of the world, I'm grateful.  We can share ideas and experiences unlike any other time in history.  I won't argue with all the old folks that things are better today than "back in the day," I only argue that we have a lot to be grateful for right now.  I hope you feel that way too.

Last weekend I ran my first 10k since 2007.  I should caveat that I've only raced one other 10k in my life, which was July 4, 2007 ("Bluegrass 10k in Lexington, KY).  That said, this was my slowest 10k ever (but for good reason)!  The race began at the famous Broadmoor Hotel (6,230ft elevation) and curved it's way up a chunk of Cheyenne mountain to the Will Roger's Shrine (8,136ft).  We ran 4 miles with ~1,906ft elevation gain, made a U-turn, and ran another 2.2 back down the hill.  Needless to say there were a few uphill sections where my Garmin said I was running a 9:11min/mile and other sections reading 5:10min/mile as I blasted back down.  But mainly it was fun.  I came to run hard and beat my whiney voice back into submission and I did that.  Although I have a very neat Rhino Poo award around my neck in the photo below, I'm most happy that I ran a race and my hip didn't hurt.  I am healthy!  That is a true blessing.



This is Cheyenne Mountain.  You can actually see the shrine here if you know where & what you're looking for...much like "Where's Waldo?"



View of the Shrine from the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, elevation 6,800ft.  Did you know the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is the nations only mountain zoo!




View from the Will Roger's Shrine to Colorado Springs.  The lake you see in the photo is located on the grounds of the Broadmoor Hotel.  This was the start location for the 10k race.




I'll leave you with a good thought for your day.

"If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you will fall into someone else's plan.  And guess what they have planned for you?  Not much." -- Jim Rohn

Comments

Popular Posts