You're not broken, you're just living.

In my line of work, I meet a lot of broke down people.

Okay, let's be honest, if getting injured is the definition of "broke" in the Army then we're all doomed some day.  We all have physical problems.  This is what I try to get across to patients who come in with a broken psyche.  Your body will heal, but you've got to heal your mind and your heart.  You have to believe you can do better.  I play a motivational speaker in my line of work.  Every once in awhile there's a person who comes back to me and has made a dramatic transformation.  They did all the work, I just told them they could.  That said, if they don't give themselves a chance to change, then it's game over before we even got started.

But how does someone change, especially change when they've lived a certain way their entire lives?  Maybe it wasn't the best way to live for their bodies or their mind.  How do we take the bit of life we can control and make it work for us?

Do you know the 80/20 rule?  80% of the benefit will come from 20% of the work.  You just have to be smart about what 20% of the work you do.  So what do I think the 20% is???  This shouldn't surprise you too much.

Control your attitude or it will control you.

What is completely your fault?  What are you not controlling?  How about...
Fearing the future
Catastrophizing
Assuming the worst
Refusing to have fun or laugh
Refusing to play like a child
Refusing to take care of your physical body
Giving up
Taking yourself too seriously
Not reaching out to others for help
Doubting
Caring what others think about you
Not being yourself
Not treating every one you meet with respect and like a human being
Complaining
Isolating yourself
Freezing out of fear or feeling overwhelmed
What else can you add to this list?

We're all human.  We all have poor attitudes at times.  But those poor attitudes must be the rare exception and not the rule.  For every negative thought we have, it's likely to take a dozen to correct our mindset.  It's work.  Certainly it's a lot of concentration.  You must pay attention to the film strip that's playing in your head all throughout the day.  Is your attitude serving you or are you serving it?

I've been there.
Every day there are broken souls that remind me.
But I don't want to go back.
I've lived it enough.
I wake up every day,
and regardless of what the day brings
I chose to be myself, be grateful, and pursue my dreams.
It gets really hard at times,
there are people who don't like me for it.
But there's nothing worse than bending for the wrong things.
You'll regret it for the rest of your life.

I'm not broken.  I'm just living.

Comments

Popular Posts