Update From Texas

So I've been in El Paso now for a little over a week at the Wounded Warrior Army Trials.  I'll probably come back later and talk a little more about the experience of "sports medicine" and what I've learned in this process about the Army's WTU programs (Warrior in Transition Unit).

For now I wanted to touch base regarding my progress with barefoot running.  To summarize, I'm very pleased.  I had a great deal of aches and pains over the past several years and 2014 was an especially trying time for me.  Even with all the remedies, I woke up every morning and dreaded that first painful step.  I limped a lot.  I also had to take months off running which seemed to minimally help my issue.  Looking back on the year I am amazed that I ran as much as I did.  Looking back on my 14+ years of running, knowing what I know now, I am amazed I didn't have MORE injuries.

My highest weekly mileage of all barefoot running has been about 20 miles.  The best part of this is that I am not running with pain.  When I started this journey I was merely hoping to achieve this level of activity without pain (for fun and health which are priority).  2 months in I am able to run a few miles at a time, most days of the week, and instead of pain I feel like my body is moving naturally and getting stronger.  I plan to continue to progress as my body allows, and who knows, maybe I'll be better than ever some day.  I am signed up for the Pikes Peak Marathon in August, which I've never run.  I have run to the top of the mountain and back down more than once, but I would like to participate in the event because it's a great deal of fun and there's a lot of camaraderie surrounding it.

While I prefer to go barefoot as much as possible (both in daily life and in running), I do have to wear shoes for my job and often when I go out to establishments that require shoes (or in the dead of winter).  My favorite shoes I've run across so far are made by SOFT STAR.  Check out their "design your own" webpage.  I have purchased a few custom shoes from their RunAmoc line...I pick the size, width, materials, sole, lace color, and if I want reflective strips on them or not.  They're handmade in Oregon from natural materials and are very durable shoes.  This is how shoes used to be made...


I'm a little short on time this morning so won't go in crazy depth about the Army Trials.  Essentially we have 100 athletes in various sports that are competing against one another for 40 spots...those 40 people will go to the Wounded Warrior Games this June at Quantico, VA.  Sports include: seated volleyball, wheelchair basketball, shooting, archery, cycling, swimming, and track & field.  The first week has been practice and on Sunday the athletes will compete against one another for the coveted spots to the Games.  I'm hoping I'll be able to get on the road home to CoSprings on Friday, April 3.  I'm ready to hit the trails again.

Comments

Popular Posts