Waldo Canyon Fire - Day 8

Hey readers in the blog -o- sphere!  Thanks for tuning in today!  As many of you are already aware, Colorado Springs was inflicted with a wildfire that began just over a week ago in the Waldo Canyon area.  The latest reports have tallied the destruction at ~18,000 acres burned, 346 homes destroyed, and 2 deaths.  The following is a YouTube link where you can view what the first 5 days of the fire looked like (don't worry, it's sped up!).  If you watch it, notice the date/time on the bottom of the screen.  On Tuesday afternoon/evening we were afflicted with 65mph winds that caused the fire to breach the containment lines and come into the city...causing the most destruction EVER for ANY Colorado wildfire in history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBA7eHY022k&feature=share

Elizabeth and I had hiked to the summit of Pikes Peak on the day the fire began.  And while it's certainly moving to see photos or footage of a wildfire, being in the midst of the fire is quite a different experience.  We saw the plumes of smoke rise and darken the sky.  We smelled the smoke.  We ran for our lives down the mountain.  That is a day I will never forget.

The following photos are shots I took last Tuesday afternoon.  I was on my way to crossfit and noticed that the plumes of smoke had grown massive...so I knew things were going downhill fast.  I know the fire appears far away in the photos (and from the southernmost portion of Colorado Springs, it is several miles away), but the smoke you see is the fire beginning to make its way into the northwestern suburbs of Colorado Springs.  They were engulfed in flames, smoke, and huge chunks of flying ash.

Many people described what they experienced with the fire like "being in a war zone."  I understand how they could feel that way with a wall of fire rushing towards them  Thankfully I have never been shot at, but I have been close by when IEDs have exploded and the same sort of fear rushes through you.  One moment you are going about your life and the next you fear for you life.  For a moment you feel as though you are starring death in the face.  Your nervous system goes into overdrive so you can run...or fight...or do whatever is necessary to survive.  It's not just another day anymore...






Tonight the fire is 55% contained.  My prayers and thanks goes to our firefighters, our police, our city officials, our volunteers, and everyone who donated to or housed those affected.

In other and quite less exciting news, I am back at work (I know you are laughing at me Bobby!).  Hoping to get settled in soon and start helping soldiers get better (and hopefully preventing many of those injuries from occurring).  More to come on that!

Comments

Popular Posts