September Fun Times ;)


The performance testing continues...

Shuttle Sprints with and without combat loads...


Crossover Hop Test


The Y-Balance Test


Functional Movement Screen (FMS) Stations


Dr. William North with Public Health Command
Guy is basically a genius in anything related to exercise physiology, programming, excel spreadsheets, research, and screening thousands of soldiers.
Oh - and this is his attempt to "honor" his wife's request to drink only 1 bottle of soda per day.  That's a big bottle Will!




This past weekend I had the pleasure of driving west to Breckenridge, CO for the annual Oktoberfest.  There were some very nice views of the aspen trees changing colors on the trip.


 I had to stop and get a photo...I wasn't the only car pulled over enjoying the scenery
(eg. someone else took this photo!)







The community of Breckenridge, CO.



They really pilled on the sauerkraut!


The past few weeks of work have been long...especially if one compares it to any other job I've held.  Good news is I feel like I'm actually doing something worthwhile.  But it does make it difficult to keep balance and stay "healthy" when sleep and free time are a precious commodity.

It's a reminder to me that there's a lot of great things out in the world in which to be involved.  But they aren't easy.  They are actually hard and might make us uncomfortable.  There is great potential in all of us to accomplish things we might never have imagined.  But it doesn't just happen.  I may or may not be changing lives when I go to work every day.  I don't cure cancer.  But I know an attitude, a smile, words of encouragement and affirmation...they all make a difference to those around me.  Most days I push through the tiredness and resulting "apathy" to get beyond "how I feel at the moment."  It's a wonderful exercise of the mind and heart!  I imagine this is what so many parents go through with their children...end of a long day and they still make dinner, they play with their children, they make time for their spouse...in short they make the important things in life a priority.

Life isn't comfortable.  Life is a challenging adventure that creates tension.  But you cannot avoid tension.  For those who come to realize it's the only way one builds strength, they will use their energy and their spirit to move forward.  They will embrace the truth, that life is hard, and yet they will still find the joy in every single day.  It's that faith that makes a true believer.  It's that faith that brings you loving kindness which you can freely share with others.  That is the blessing, to realize you were created by a God who loves to create and He is proud of you.  Trust Him.  Like any character in the bible who accomplished great things, you're gonna have to stick your neck out!

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships were made for." --John A Shedd


Comments

Popular Posts