My New Texas Friends

I wish I'd gotten a picture of my new friends.
Yesterday I went hiking in my backyard.  Well...maybe not exactly my backyard, the trailhead is about 10 miles from my front door.  I can ride my bike out there, I can even run if I'm especially motivated.

I started the hike along the Middle Columbine Trail in North Cheyenne Canyon.  It's a popular trail for locals and tourists alike because of its easy access from the city.  Had I been able, I would have opted to hike the Waldo Canyon loop yesterday.  It's a bit longer, a bit more challenging, and there's generally fewer hikers.  But since the fire, the land is off limits to the public.  I've been told it'll be a good 5 years before anyone can go hiking out there...the vegetation needs time to grow back and "anchor" the ground.  If people were to hike there now, they would erode the land badly.  Wouldn't really be safe and would doubtfully be "scenic" with it's torched black leafless trees and melted earth.

So I parked my car and started west going up into the canyon.  It was a nice hike, overcast with a few drops falling here and there but nothing to get you damp.  I had planned to hike out and back along the same trail, which would have made the entire trip about 8 miles (perfect for a day off running).  When I arrived to the turn-around point I made the decision to take a walk down the road (shorter trip back to my car) and explore other trails as I came to them.  There were a few trails in that area that I had yet to hike.  I'd seen people on those trails.  They looked happy.  I wanted to try them out.
One particular trail I found said it was only 2 miles roundtrip (out and back) so without hesitation I started up the trail.  It was a pretty gradual uphill to the top of a small peak that overlooked the Cheyenne Canyon area.





I found a good "sitting rock" when I got to the top and sat in silence.  It was awesome.  I took a deep breath, the air was so fresh.  I listened and heard nothing but a light breeze grazing my ears.  While I've been fortunate enough to encounter "more amazing mountains," in that moment I felt like I never wanted to leave my spot.  I was content to sit there for all eternity.



But I wish I'd have gotten a picture of my new friends.  As I sat there I heard a group of people behind me talking.  They were taking some pictures and I heard one lady say, "oh this will be great for the slideshow!" and "what a beautiful sight!"  I turned to look and saw the group was made up of 4 older folks, 3 women and 1 guy.  I got off my rock, walked over, and offered to take a picture with all 4 of them in it.  The 3 women were from Dallas, TX...one of the women was in town visiting her sister (and brother in-law, the guy with them)...the other 2 women were her friends from Dallas that had come along.  The brother in-law (Eddie) was from Houston, TX and he and his wife had moved to Colorado Springs over a decade ago.  The sister from Dallas told me that she comes up every year, sometimes twice a year, to spend time with the family here and enjoy the outdoors.  All of the women from Dallas had met and become friends through running...they did marathons together.  This was one fit group of 60-something year olds!  The sister's 82-year old mother made it to the top a short time later.  I told the women that I wanted to be like them when I reached their age.

I decide to descend the mountain with them and we all had a great visit.  They even took a picture with me in it so they could "put me in the slideshow" :)  Back at the trailhead, the group loaded up in the car and offered to give me a ride to mine, but I declined since I knew I was so close and told them I'd run.  As I jogged down the road I heard a "HONK, HONK" and looked over to see the group passing in their blue Toyota Rav-4 screaming, "BYE SAM!"  I was grateful to have met all of them but certain I'd never see any of them again...what would the chances be?This morning I headed out to America the Beautiful Park for my weekly Sunday long run.  It's a great starting spot to access the Pikes Peak Greenway trail which is a favorite for long runs because it's relatively flat and has restrooms and water along the way.  I started easy since it would be an 18 miler and "got in the zone" listening to my music.  The trail is pretty heavily used in town so there are always lots of runners, walkers, and cyclists around.  As I ran along the river I noticed at a distance "just another" group of walkers coming my way.  But as we came closer I thought I recognized the guy, it was Eddie!  And that had to mean the rest of the group was my wonderful ladies from yesterday!  They noticed me about the time I figured out who they were, "NO WAY!" I yelled.  "NO WAY!  It's my friends from Texas!"  I stopped and gave all of them a hug, like we were long-lost friends.  Eddie's wife was with them now so I introduced myself.  The sister said, "this is the young lady we were telling you about yesterday!"  Meanwhile Eddie is pulling out his camera.  "Oh, we just have to get another picture, what are the chances!"  "This will be great for the slideshow!"  So we got a picture and talked for a moment...but the ladies didn't want to "mess up my long run" so after a few minutes we said goodbye.  I started into a jog as we all waved goodbye, "Who knows, maybe I'll see you all again soon!"  Course I have no way of contacting them, but I know I'll at least be in their vacation slideshow!
I think the Colorado state motto should be "get outside and make new friends."  I'm very lucky to be living here and pretty sure that no matter where the Army takes me, it's just a slight detour from my home in the mountains.  A big thanks to Eddie and his family for bringing life into a "regular" weekend!  I hope you all have many more adventures to come as a family, I'll be looking for you on the trails!




Comments

Popular Posts