Step Outside - The Great Sand Dunes National Park/Preserve

The past few days have been sunny and warm, almost like summer.  I decided to finally make the drive to the sand dunes (Great Sand Dunes National Park) near Alamosa, CO.  National Parks Service - Great Sand Dunes National Park

It was well worth the trip.  I didn't have all day to hike or play, so I just spent a few hours.  Most of the people there were on the smaller dunes sledding down on the northern slopes where the snow hadn't yet melted.  A few people, including myself, ventured to the top of the tallest dune, known as Star Dune, 750ft high.  The dunes are sandwiched between the beautiful Sangre De Cristo mountain range and the San Luis valley.  There are several nice peaks of the Cristo, the most famous of which is a 14'er known as Mount Blanca.  This is a peak I wanted to hike last summer/fall season and didn't get around to it.  I am sure one could hike it in the winter, but I personally try to avoid rock scrambling in the ice and snow and I prefer having more daylight for longer hikes as well.  Thankfully the mountain isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so I hope to get my chance some day.

Mount Blanca and other peaks



Sangre De Cristo range with the Dunes



Walk to the dunes



Looking west towards the San Luis Valley



Peaceful rendition - it was so quiet that all I could hear was my heart beat and my breath



Climbing higher



Running in the sand is hard- moving uphill in sand at 8,200ft of elevation is even harder.




Making progress on the climb and getting a great view of the valley.




I stopped a lot to breath and take pictures.



A lot...




Looking east at the 2nd highest dune, "High Dune"



I made it to the "saddle" and snapped a photo of the north (which was blocked on the way up).



A narrow ridge shows the way to the top of Star Dune



Following footsteps...



The San Luis valley from the ridge




The Sangre De Cristo range from the top of Star Dune




Someone placed a stick in Star Dune to mark the very top.




One more look north from Star Dune (towards Salida, CO)



The way down was a blast.  I ran.  I jumped.  I skidded down steep slopes to the very bottom, collecting what felt like pounds of sand in my shoes.  Best of all, the sun was warm and my skin was able to absorb a light often rare in the winter.  Because the park is a national park, it's free to active duty military.  Even if you have to pay, it's only $3 for adults to enter!  If you ever find yourself in southern Colorado (southern/central), it's worth a stop to see something so unique.  Mother nature offers never-ending adventures- time to step outside.

Comments

Popular Posts