All aBoarding!

I'm getting to sleep in until 6am tomorrow morning.  Amazing!  I'm headed back to Keystone Resort for a few hours of snowboarding.  It's supposed to snow out in the mountains during the day tomorrow.  While I always prefer a sunny day, a cloudy snow day is still way better than the artificial light cave I call my office.

By the way, this will be the 4th time I've snowboarded, allow me to briefly recap the first 3 events.

Opportunity #1- Taos, NM 2008- I watched a youtube video for instruction and snowboarded without a helmet.  Both of those things were horrible ideas and resulted in me having severe pain with sitting for several days...and generalized butt pain for about a month.  Pretty sure I fractured my coccyx.

Opportunity #2- Eldora Mountain, CO, 2012- I took a 2hr group lesson and wore a helmet.  I think I made it down the green slopes a few times without falling.  When I fell it was quite epic.  My best move is falling forward and having the snowboard come around to hit me in the back of the helmet.  Second to that is the "twister" where my upper body and lower body land turned in opposite directions.

Opportunity #3- Keystone Resort, CO 2013- I rode heel side down the mountain pretty successfully.  I was able to ride regular and goofy okay at slow speeds.  I attempt toe side on the baby hill where they teach the 5yr olds to ski and I practiced falling a lot.  I also sort of landed a 180deg jump moving 0.2mph.

There is no telling what tomorrow will hold.  I say this all the time, but we aren't promised any of this good stuff so be sure to soak it up.  When I stand at the top of a mountain looking down the bunny hill it still makes me nervous.  Let's be honest, I'm not a good snowboarder!  But I breath deeply and savor the moment of feeling alive.  I rest my gaze on the beautiful mountaintops on the horizon, the memory of which is the only souvenir I'll ever need.  Then I push myself forward and try to enjoy the ride.

Comments

Popular Posts